Monday, October 17, 2011

I’m back!

 

Hi everybody, how are you? Looks like my blog has been left idle for the past 3 months or so. OMG, I didn’t even realize that it was that long. Sorry about that as I was very busy looking after a friend’s restaurant business while she was away visiting her children studying abroad. I was so tired by the time I came home that I just had no inclination to write at all. I tell you the hours are very long, there’s always work to be done. Then when this fried came back, another good friend asked me to go back to my hometown some 250 miles away to keep her mother company, as she would be alone in the house, while this friend and her husband went to visit her-mother in-law in Australia for a month. In a way I was glad, because they had a beautiful house by the sea, so it would be a sort of holiday for me and I needed the rest too after the hectic time I had at the restaurant. But the real reason I wanted to go back was the food. I haven’t been back for quite a while and I was missing all that yummy food I grew up on. I really had a good time meeting up with old friends and the lunch and dinner dates we had. On most days we ended up cooking all our favorite dishes.

I would have come back to work on my blog earlier if not for a big disappointment I suffered. All my friends know how much I wanted to go to Korea. Being a contest buff, I will always enter any contest offering a free trip to Korea as a prize in the hope that I will win it and visit the place that I love so much. In one such contest I came so close to it. I managed to get the 2nd prize, but a miss is as good as a mile. All my friends were congratulating me saying that something was better than nothing. But I was only interested in the free trip to Korea and not the other prizes. How disappointed I was and I couldn’t help feeling a bit depressed. How nice if I had won it, as the trip would be during the autumn with all the colorful red and gold autumn leaves. It has always been my wish to visit Korea in the autumn.This depressed mood gave me an excuse to work in my garden. Some of my plants had suffered during my absence and some had even died. So I began to repot the plants that were spared.and within 2 weeks my garden became alive again, with the flowers blooming everywhere. Gardening   proved  good therapy  for my depression.  One night I was reading my scrapbook collection of quotations when I came across this one “Things always happen for a reason.” That jolted me out of my reverie instantly. Yes, I was thinking, there must be a reason why God didn’t want me to go to Korea at this time. All negative thoughts began to flood my mind.

I told myself, I had to put an end to my procrastination. So today, I literally forced myself to sit at my computer table and start typing on the keyboard. Like they say, it’s now or never! I only hope that I can manage to come up with something. If you don’t see this being published then you’ll know that I’ve failed. Anyway, today I won’t be writing anything about Korea, this is just a warm-up, so to speak, and to get back on my feet once again.

All of us who are blogging about Korea and all things Korean have one thing in common, and that is our passion for Korea. What do you readers love about Korea? I love Korea for many reasons, its beautiful scenery, Its wonderful shopping, Its k-drama and k-pop. But most of all I love Korea for its rich heritage and culture which comes with an outstanding 5,000 year old history, I have always been interested In history since my school days and that is why I love watching period/costume dramas be it Korean or otherwise. So I was thinking that why don’t I write about all these things that I love so much. Do you think that it might be too boring to those of you who are not too keen on this? I hope that you all can share my enthusiasm for all things cultural and historical. Mind you culture can mean a lot of things like Hangeul, Hanbok, Hanok, Hanji, Hansik, Hanguk-Eumak, Korean Food and the UNESCO WORLD Cultural Heritage. Yes, I think I shall enjoy that much better than writing about pop-stars and pop-music, I shall leave that to the younger generation to do that. History can be fun really, I’ll try not to be too boring. So please bear with me and keep the feedback coming so that I know if you all enjoy it or not.. I guess that’s about all for now. So hope to see you all again soon.

3 comments:

  1. I came many times on your blog during your absence, as I like how you write and I wanted you to be back. So, welcome!

    I am from Romania and this year I manged to see my dream. I was in Korea, on April. If I have to give an answer to your question, I cannot find a better one than yours. Those are my reasons too to love Korea.

    If you want to see, I wrote about those subjects too, starting here:
    http://travelinghawk.blogspot.com/2011/05/momente-din-seul-1-sosirea-seoul.html

    There are 40 posts about Korea, covering a lot of objectives. All the posts have English summary.

    I am looking forward to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I remember you posted some comments on my blog before you went to Korea. So did you get to taste any of the dishes I wrote about? How long and where did you stay? Did you go on your own or with a tour group? Needless to say you must have enjoyed yourself. So next time if I go to Korea, I shall have to ask you for tips. Yes I'll go to your site and read about your adventure in Korea. Nice to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my posts will answer you. I was alone, as I almost always do, organising my own travel. I stayed in a very nice place, found on hostelworld.com (post about it). My trip was of only 10 days, of which I spent 2 in Gyeongyu, and the rest in Seoul. I loved Seoul so much, and there are so many things /places I would have liked to see, that I have to go there again:).

    ReplyDelete