Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Aftermath.....

Well, the Blog Korea Contest is finally over and the results will be out soon. Guess it will be back to doing my own thing again, to write whatever I want to, to chase my own dream you might say. I don’t think I’ll be among the first hundred to win a prize. You know why? Two out of the three criteria for how the judging is going to be done state that it will be based on i) the total number of blog hits and ii) recommendations and the number of blog visitors, replies, trackbacks, and visitors’ comments. I haven’t had any comments on my postings except for two which were not exactly on my postings. I’m sure there wasn’t that many hits on my blog either, so how can I expect to win? In fact I purposely used a different identity for the blog to disguise my true identity from my friends as I'm quite shy about it. Even my family do not know I have a blog page. So how could they have commented or read my blog. Well life must go on so I shall just carry on and continue to indulge in my passion for all things Korean in this little space of mine I call, “my blue haven”. It doesn't matter if no one reads it, writing is something that I quite enjoy. In other words my blog serves as a playground for me to enjoy myself and as an avenue for me to channel my inner thoughts and aspirations.
I’m glad though that my first attempt at blogging brought some positive results in that I managed to be amongst the top twenty bloggers in the Samsung blogging contest in which I participated. Although I didn’t win the top three prizes I was quite happy with the Samsung MP3 player I got. Perhaps this will serve as an incentive for me to enter more contests, chase more dreams and to win more prizes. Thank you Samsung for the gift and thank you God for the little mercies that make life more pleasant.
Korea has a reputation of being first in a lot of things but I didn’t quite expect this one. A friend of mine, knowing my interest in all things Korean, emailed me an article about a Korean pastor, the Rev. David Yonggi Cho who retired from the ministry in Korea recently. Here’s an excerpt from the article in the “Journey” ONLINE, Queensland Uniting Church dated Wednesday, 2 September 2009 5:05:01 pm. “Pentecostal preacher, the Rev David Yonggi Cho, who claimed to have the world's biggest Christian congregation of more than 800 000 people, has retired following 50 years of ministry, a senior member of his church has said in South Korea. The church is a Pentecostal congregation of the Assemblies of God in Yoido Island in Seoul, Korea. The building holds about 25 000 people for one service and people arrive hours before a service to secure a place. The church says it has been recognised by the Guinness Book of World Records as the church with the largest congregation in the world, with its members numbering more than 800 000.” For the full article go to this website:- http://www.journeyonline.com.au/printView.php?articleId=1590
Wow! The church must be very big to be able to accommodate 25,000 people at one time for a service. I think it would be more like a stadium. Do you know how many Christians there are in Korea today? I understand that about 25% of the Korean population is now Christian, it’s not guess work, I looked it up.
How time flies, it’s already September and in no time at all it’ll be autumn for those living in temperate countries. It’s times like this when I wish I was staying somewhere else like in Korea, where I can enjoy the four seasons. That is why I always choose to travel abroad during the autumn but I have yet to experience an autumn in Korea. Friends who’ve gone and come back have confirmed the beauty of Korea in the autumn. Autumn is also the time for the Koreans to make their annual pilgrimage up the mountains to watch the red and gold autumn leaves. Autumn also means festivals in Korea. Here's another first for Korea again. I believe no other country in the world can beat Korea where festivals are concerned, correct me if I am wrong. There are so many festivals being celebrated the whole year long in Korea. Summer may be the top season for festivals but the autumn festivals especially those held outdoors are enjoyed much more due to the cooler weather during autumn.
I was looking over the list of autumn festivals on the KTO website and a few caught my eye. Makes me even more frustrated that I cannot be in Korea to participate in them. So what can I do but dream, dream, dream.

2009 Dongdaemun Fashion Festival Period: 09-02-2009 ~ 09-25-2009
The <2009 Dongdaemun Fashion Festival> will be celebrating its 7th festival this year, and will run from September 1st to September 11th at Dongdaemun Fashion Town, Seoul’s most representative shopping district. Every year in early September, extensive sales events and shopping events open at the Dongdaemun Fashion Town to greet the nationally celebrated Korean Thanksgiving holiday, Chuseok. Festivities also include outdoor fashion shows, cultural performances, and a host of various events for visitors to enjoy. And this year there will be a promotional event, a shopping event, a program event, as well as concerts and cultural performances by popular Korean entertainers.
I'm going to show this to a friend who went to Korea and came back saying that shopping in Seoul was expensive. She should have told me that she was going to Korea,and I could have given her some advice and save some of her money too. September is the time to go shopping in Seoul.


Another festival I would like to see is the Jinju Namgang Yudeung (Lantern) Festival to be held in Gyeongsangnam-do. Lanterns are floated on the waters of Namgang River in an annual event of the Jinju Namgang Yudeung Festival in order to praise the spirits of 70,000 chivalrous Korean soldiers and citizens who sacrificed their lives in defending the country and the people of the Korean nation when over 120,000 Japanese troops invaded Jinjuseong in June of 1593.
One of the festival’s largest events opens after the sun sets, when a procession of wishing lanterns are floated on the Namgang River along with the creative lanterns made by the students of Jinju. This will be something very beautiful I'm sure.
Who hasn't heard of the Pusan/Busan International Film Festival? It is currently Korea’s largest film festival and is known as one of the most dynamic film festivals in the world, making it “the” film festival in Asia. As a result, Busan has become known as a city of arts and culture, and these days has been attracting considerable international attention. It's on from 8th Octber till 16th October. There's also another festival on about the same time as the film festival. It's the Busan Jagalchi Festival from 14th October ~ 18th October. If you're a lover of seafood than you should not miss this.The ‘Jagalchi Market’ is the largest seafood market in Korea, and is one of Busan’s most well-known tourist attractions.
This festival takes place in the autumn every year, and its slogan is “Oiso! Boiso! Saiso! (“Come! See! Buy!” in the Busan accent)”. The huge size and bustling, lively atmosphere makes a visit to Jagalchi Market a unique experience for many visitors.
Small food stalls sell fresh inshore hagfish grilled on briquet fires, visitors will be able to try many unusual types of fish as well as excellent sashimi, which is available at low prices. Yes, I hear the price of seafood in Busan is really cheap.
The Jarasum International Jazz Festival from 15th October to 18th October to be held in Gyeonggi-do sounds like fun. 30 jazz groups from 12 different countries including the United States, Japan, and Korea will be performing. Every year, over 100,000 people visit this particular festival with most of them being repeat visitors.
The main events of the festival are held on an island, and the sublime jazz music blends with the beautiful surroundings. You'd be surprised, most of the performances are free.
I have always been fascinated by the pottery/ceramics produced in Korea. The Ulsan Oegosan Onggi Festival from the 15th October to 18th October is where I want to go.
Oegosan Onggi Village is the largest producer of onggi (earthenware) in Korea. This village was created by onggi artisans from all over Korea, and their earthenware products are so highly regarded that they are sold throughout the country and exported all over the world.During the festival period, onggi artisans will teach visitors how to craft onggi earthenware, and one can even visit the factory.


Did I hear someone mention food? Where there's food there's sure to be me. Don't you know I live to eat and not the other way around. I'll end today's post by telling you somethong about the Namdo Food Festival to be held in Jeollanam-do from 29th October to 1st November The ‘Namdo’ province is well known for its delicious food, which is celebrated at this festival. Famous foods from the province’s cities and regions are available at the festival’s ““recommended sampling stalls”, featuring delicacies such as ‘Mokpo Nakji (octopus)’, ‘Suncheon Yeomso-tteokgalbi (grilled marinaded goat meat)’, and much more.
Not only will visitors be able to try some of Namdo’s mouth-watering cuisine, but you will also be able to visit an exhibition on Namdo’s traditional dishes that were served at the royal table. The festival location is held at the picturesque Nakaneupseong Folk Village.
Well guess that's all for now. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment